The Bloomberg Center for Public Innovation at Johns Hopkins University (the Center) seeks a Senior Advisor to join the Civic Engagement Practice. The first of its kind in the world, the Center aims to advance the field of public sector innovation by marrying cutting-edge practice with world class research in order to transform the culture of government, deliver exceptional results for residents, and inspire trust in public service.
Reporting to the Civic Engagement Director, Senior Advisors play a critical role in supporting programs in the Civic Engagement practice area, helping local government practitioners and leaders build engagement capacity in city halls and deliver better results for residents. Senior Advisors are subject matter experts who guide the implementation of community-based and impact-driven service opportunities and other innovative engagement strategies. The Center is committed to addressing structural and entrenched racism and recognizes the public sector’s role in perpetuating these legacies. We are looking for candidates committed to dismantling structural and entrenched racism and addressing these issues, both as we build a new organization and advance this work in communities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide direct technical assistance to city teams to design and implement engagement strategies that enable residents to contribute to the design, development, and delivery of new services and policy approaches.
- Design and facilitate direct connections and collaborative learning opportunities among cities.
- Act as the relationship manager for program grantees and partners.
- Serve as a subject matter and political context expert for internal collaboration with other practice areas and operational teams.
- Collaborate on the design and execution of new grant opportunities and practice offerings.
- Contribute to internal strategy development and continuous improvement.
- Represent Bloomberg Center for Public Innovation at relevant events and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in local government, design, or management consulting.
- Experience project-managing complex initiatives from design to their completion.
- Familiarity with the fields of participatory design, deliberative democracy, codesign and facilitation.
- Familiarity with social media and other technologies that support and enhance engagement strategies.
- Familiarity with a range of facilitation techniques.
- Familiarity with learning management systems, particularly TalentLMS.
- Ability to represent Bloomberg Center for Public Innovation and its partners before mayors and other government officials.
- Ability to thrive in relationships with leaders in the civic sector.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage external stakeholders and workflows.
- Excellence public speaking and training skills.
- Excellent written, presentation, and research skills.
- Master’s Degree in related discipline.
- One year related experience.
- Demonstrated ability on significant graduate project or additional doctoral education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in public policy, public administration, or a related field, particularly with local government.
Classified Title: Sr. Research Data Analyst
Working Title: Senior Advisor, Civic Engagement
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri/7.5 hrs daily
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: Ctrs for Govt Excellence & Public Innova
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.