Johns Hopkins University seeks a Communications Associate for the News & Content Unit of the Bloomberg Center for Public Innovation (the Center). The Center is quickly becoming a globally recognized organization focused on advancing the art and science of public sector innovation, especially among local governments. The Center works to increase awareness of the impact of local government innovation with a special emphasis on the ways in which residents contribute to the design, development, and delivery of new services and policy approaches.
Working closely with the Director of Communications, the Communications Associate will support the build-out of the Center’s expansive communications efforts. The ideal candidate will have prior experience designing communications for publicly-oriented organizations, experience collaborating with multiple partners, and passion about the work of the new Center.
The Center is committed to addressing structural and entrenched racism and recognizes the public sector’s role in perpetuating these legacies. We are looking for a person committed to dismantling structural and entrenched racism and addressing these issues, both as we build a new organization and advance this work in communities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary coordinator for the News & Content Unit, maintaining the editorial calendar, tracking the progress of articles and other content in development, and handling requests and communication with writers and partner organizations.
- Identify compelling storytelling opportunities from the Center’s work, with a keen eye for what will interest audiences like city hall practitioners.
- Generate content for social media, newsletters, and other resources disseminated by the Center.
- Contribute to design and content development for webinars and conferences in relevant topic areas (e.g., innovation in cities).
- Keep track of the arc of each project and anticipate next steps by preparing and using task lists, work plans, or other project management tools
- Liaise and coordinate with program partners, stakeholders, city leaders, Center BCPI leadership, and other Center practice areas on critical areas of work.
- Prepare reports, summaries, presentations, and other work products for dissemination to the Center’s leadership and external partners, including Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Strives to deliver communications in a more efficient and effective way by challenging current processes and recommending new approaches. Introduces tactics that incorporate leading-edge communication strategies, leveraging technology as a means to engage consumers of content.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Four years related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for experience, and additional experience may substitute required education to the extent permitted by the Johns Hopkins University Equivalency Formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- Five (5) years’ experience in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Experience managing operations and workflow for communications as part of a public initiative or organization.
Special Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Track record of identifying and shaping storytelling opportunities and producing polished written products for public audiences.
- Working understanding of the types of challenges municipal governments typically face preferred, either through direct experience working in government or in organizations that collaborate closely with governments.
- High proficiency in WordPress, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, project management software, and virtual meeting platforms; working knowledge of HTML and CSS; proficiency in social media and other digital marketing tools.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and calendars simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to set priorities and respond quickly as priorities change.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build good relationships with peers and to interact with diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collect and synthesize information and provide summary reports.
- Excellent content creation and writing skills.
- Ability to work both cooperatively within a team and independently.
- Experience in engaging others to support a movement.